Russia attacks Ukraine – level 2
On Thursday, Russian soldiers attacked Ukraine. World leaders strongly criticized the attack, and they said that it could start a big war in Europe.
Russian rockets hit several airports and cities, and soldiers were getting closer to the capital city of Kyiv. Hundreds of thousands of people left Ukraine, and they traveled mainly to the Polish and Slovak border. The UN said that 5 million Ukrainians could leave the country because of the war.
Western countries imposed strict sanctions on Russia, and they agreed to cut some Russian banks off from the international payment system. As a reaction, the Russian president Vladimir Putin put Russian nuclear forces on high alert.
Difficult words: The UN (The United Nations, an organization which tries to keep peace in the world), sanction (a strong action which a country or organization takes against another country to make it follow rules), alert (when someone is careful and ready to do something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos