Russia attacks Ukrainian cities – level 3
Earlier this week, Russia launched a massive wave of missile strikes across Ukraine.
The strikes were in response to an attack on the Kerch Bridge that links Russia to Crimea. The bridge was an important route and a symbol of Russia’s annexation of Crimea. The Russian president called the attack a terrorist act by Ukraine.
Rockets struck Kyiv during morning rush hour, and they hit a major road junction, a power plant, a popular pedestrian bridge, and a park in the city center. Car dash cams captured the moment when missiles struck in Dnipro. A strike in the city of Lviv narrowly missed electrical pylons that served the city. Rockets hit other cities, including Zaporizhzhia, Mykolaiv, and Kharkiv.
The Ukrainian president said that Russia’s main targets appeared to be energy infrastructure and civilians. At least 70 rockets hit 12 Ukrainian cities, and 11 people died in the attacks.
Difficult words: annexation (grab a piece of land or a country by force or without permission), junction (a place where things meet or join), pylon (a tall tower-like structure that carries cables high above the ground).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.