Russia Blocks Facebook and Twitter – level 2
People in Russia can’t use Facebook and Twitter. The Russian government blocked the social media websites on Friday. It said that there was fake news about the war in Ukraine.
Russian state media posted information about the war, and Facebook checked if the information was true. It wasn’t true, and Facebook said it openly. The Russian government didn’t like it, and it blocked Facebook and Twitter, too. Russians couldn’t get information from some Western websites and social media. It meant that they could only see what Russian state media said.
The Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyi used social media to speak to Russian people about the war. Now, it was more difficult to change Russian people’s opinions about the war.
Difficult words: fake news (false news or stories which change what people think about someone or something), state media (TV, radio, or news agencies that a government of a country directly controls), opinion (an idea which a person has about something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.