Russia drug scandal – level 1
Kamila Valieva is a Russian figure skater. She is 16 years old. Last year, she skates at the Russian National Championship.
Valieva gets a drug test after the event. She has a positive test for a heart medicine. This medicine is illegal in sports. She says that she makes a mistake. She takes her grandfather’s heart pills.
A few months later, officials allow Valieva to skate at the Winter Olympics in Beijing, China. Valieva wins the gold medal. Her win is a big scandal.
This week, a Russian drug organization says that it knows the results of Valieva’s case. The organization won’t say the result. It says that it wants to protect the skater.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.