Russia gives France a dog – level 3
Now, we know they’re for life and not just for Christmas, but Russia may have given France the cutest gift ever. Russian police have given France a puppy to replace police dog Diesel who was killed in a raid following the Paris attacks in November.
The seven-year-old hound was shot during a raid in St Denis which targeted the alleged mastermind of the coordinated killings.
During a ceremony in Moscow, Russia’s Interior Ministry handed over a German Shepherd puppy to the French ambassador.
Dobrynya is named after a folklore hero and is intended as a symbol of the unity of nations in the fight against terrorism and as a gesture of solidarity and friendship with France.
Well, we would be friends with anyone who gave us that cutie!
Difficult words: A dog is for life, not just for Christmas (a well-known slogan by a charity), raid (a rapid surprise attack), alleged (we say that something is alleged if we are not 100% sure if it is true), mastermind (a person who plans something complicated), unity (working together), solidarity (unity or agreement of feeling or action, support), cutie (something or somebody who is cute – adorable).
What do you think about the puppy?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.