Russia nuclear test – level 3
Russia’s new strategic nuclear submarine, the Imperator Alexander III, has successfully tested a Bulava intercontinental ballistic missile in the White Sea.
This missile is designed to carry multiple nuclear warheads and hit a target thousands of kilometers away on the Kamchatka peninsula. The Russian defense ministry called this missile launch the final step in the state tests, leading to the cruiser’s acceptance into the Navy. The Imperator Alexander III is the seventh in the Borei class of nuclear submarines known as the Dolgoruky class in NATO, armed with 16 Bulava missiles, each with a range of about 8,000 kilometers. This successful test comes as Russia aims to build 10 to 12 Borei-class submarines for its Northern and Pacific fleets.
In recent years, President Vladimir Putin has increased military spending and aimed to rebuild Russia’s military capabilities. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov described relations with the United States as being below zero, though he suggested that contact between their leaders would eventually resume.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think this missile launch suggests about Russia's attitude to the United States?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.