Russia Returns Ships – level 2
Last year, Russia took hold of three Ukrainian military ships which tried to get through the Kerch Strait. Russia said that it was against the law.
The Kerch Strait lies off the coast of Crimea, and it is an important way for ships. Crimea belonged to Ukraine, but in 2014, Russia took control of it and made it a part of the Russian territory. However, Russia and Ukraine share the Kerch Strait.
After Russia took Crimea, the Ukrainian army started to control the country. The current president, Volodymyr Zelenskyy, wants to make the situation better again.
Russia returned the ships to Ukraine only weeks before a peace summit in Paris. The condition of the ships is not clear.
Difficult words: take hold (to take something and to keep it), territory (an area that belongs to a country), share (to let someone else have or use something at the same time as you), peace summit (an international meeting of leaders of countries who discuss the end of a war or a conflict).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.