Russia sanctions – level 2
After more than a year since the war in Ukraine started, it is clear that sanctioning Russia was worth it.
The G7 recently decided to increase the sanctions on Moscow, which will make it even harder for President Vladimir Putin to fund his war on Ukraine. Over time, the sanctions continue to harm the Russian economy, but their impact on Europe became less important. Russia’s exports decreased by 28% in the first quarter of this year because Europe is no longer buying Russian oil and gas. But it is necessary to tighten the sanctions regularly because Russia can adjust over time.
It is now easier for Europe because Russia is no longer economically important, and Europe no longer depends on Russian energy. Russia only makes up 2% of EU exports, which is half of what it was in 2021.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
How have the sanctions placed on Russia by the G7 impacted the Russian economy?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.