Russia takes Ukrainian areas – level 3
On Friday, Vladimir Putin said his annexation was irreversible for four occupied regions in Ukraine.
He staged referendums in all four regions; however, the international community criticized them as tricks. Reportedly, at some places, soldiers went from door to door to gather people’s votes.
By seizing almost a fifth of Ukraine, the Russian president grabbed the most land in Europe since World War II; he added that the people in Ukraine’s Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson, and Zaporizhzia regions would be Russian citizens forever.
Putin also demanded Ukraine stop its fight and begin talks; however, he refused to negotiate about the annexation. The US president Joe Biden pledged the United States would never recognize Russia’s claims on Ukraine’s territory, and he said that the US would impose new sanctions on Russia.
Difficult words: annexation (the takeover of a piece of land or a country by force or without permission), irreversible (not possible to change), referendum (a vote by the people to make a change in their government).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.