Russian and the West – level 1
Russia carries out a military training. The training has 8,500 soldiers, 900 military vehicles, 50 warships and 200 warplanesl. This drill happens in the south of Russia.
The West does not like this. The relations between Russia and the West are getting worse. The West criticizes Russia, and Russia criticizes the West. This is about Syria and Ukraine.
Also, NATO sends more soldiers to eastern Europe. Russia is growing its army. Both sides are getting more and more aggressive.
Difficult words: carry out (to do), military (an army), vehicle (a thing used for transport), relation (the way how people or countries communicate).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this situation between Russia and the West?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.