Russians and Americans – level 1
An American warship is in the Baltic Sea. Two Russian warplanes fly past the warship. They fly only 9 metres above it. They do this 11 times.
The planes have no weapons on them. However, the White House says that this is an act of aggression. The Americans try to contact the planes. But the pilots say nothing.
A former American soldier talks about the situation. He says that things like this happen often. He thinks that Russians wanted to see the warship. He thinks that maybe they took pictures of it, too.
Difficult words: weapon (something like a bomb or a gun), act of aggression (doing something aggressive – something like an attack), former (-ex).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.