Russians Celebrate the End of Winter – level 1
Some people in Russia celebrate the end of winter. They are a little crazy. They have a competition. They go down a hill on ice. They wear a special type of dress.
There are 11 teams. They put on crazy costumes. They get on their sledges. They go down from a hill.
There are many people. People watch the teams. The team of Vikings goes the longest distance. They win. They get a great prize. They get 300 square metres of land in Russia.
One of the Vikings says that the team wants to share the land. First they want to build their sauna. A sauna is very typical for Vikings.
Difficult words: celebrate (have a party), competition (a situation when you want to win), put on (dress), sledge (an object, you go on it on snow or ice).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.