Russians Celebrate the End of Winter – level 2
Some Russians celebrated the end of winter in a special way. They organised a competition in sliding down an ice hill in special dress.
The 11 teams put on some crazy costumes and got on their home-made sledges. There were many people. They watched the competitors when they were going down the icy hill.
The team of Vikings slid the longest distance. They won. They got a great prize – 300 square metres of land in the Russian countryside.
One of the winning Vikings said that the team wants to share the land. First; they want to build their own sauna. Saunas are very typical for Vikings.
Difficult words: slide (move smoothly on a surface), sledge (a vehicle used for travelling on snow or ice), share (give part of something to someone else).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos