Safety in Mecca – level 2
During a Muslim holy day, many Muslims went to Mecca to make their haji pilgrimage, and they went to a special place. They performed an important rite.
Two years ago, 2,000 people died there from overcrowding and from being crushed as they walked on the bridge to this place. In response, the government made plans to make the area safer. It has more than 100,000 security staff managing all of the people this year.
Difficult words: haji pilgrimage (when Muslims go to Mecca at least once in their lives), rite (a very important religious activity), staff (people who work together on something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos