Sailor is saved – level 1
This story is about a Bulgarian man. He is in England. He buys a small boat. He wants to sail from England to America on it.
A yachtsman sees the man on the sea. The Bulgarian man is unwell. He is seasick. Help comes, but the man does not want help. The rescue team must move him on their boat.
The man had a bag of food with him. He had some biscuits, hot dogs and beans. He also had some clothing and a US visa. However, he had no life jacket and nothing for navigation.
Difficult words: yachtsman (person who sails a yacht which is a type of a boat), seasick (not well because of how the boat moves), rescue team (group of people which saves other people).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Is America worth risking your life on a dinghy?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos