Sailor is saved – level 2
A Bulgarian man bought a 14-foot (4.2 metres) dinghy in England, and he wanted to sail from England to America on it.
The man was seen five miles from the land by a yachtsman. The yachtsman noticed that the man was seasick and he called help. However, the 30-year-old sailor didn’t want help. He refused it for 45 minutes, but then people dragged him onto the lifeboat.
The man had a bag of food including biscuits, hot dogs and beans. He also had some clothing and a US visa. But he didn’t have a life jacket and his only navigation was a street map of England.
Difficult words: dinghy (small boat), yachtsman (person who sails a yacht which is a type of a boat), drag (to pull somebody).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Is America worth risking your life on a dinghy?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.