Same-Sex Marriage in Taiwan – level 3
The parliament in Taiwan is discussing a potential amendment to the civil code that would legalise same-sex marriage, which would make Taiwan the first Asian country to do this. Taiwan is one of the most LGBT-friendly countries in Asia and has an annual gay pride parade.
Thousands of people gathered to protest this amendment in front of the country’s presidential office. At the same time, supporters of the legalisation also gathered to share their views.
Difficult words: amendment (a change to a law), civil (relating to people), code (a collection of laws), LGBT (lesbian-gay-bisexual-transgender), annual (happening every year), gather (come together in large numbers).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.