Satellite photos of flight MH17 – level 3
A spokesman for the Ukrainian National Defence and Security Council has labeled these images that Russian state TV claim as proof flight MH17 was downed by a Ukrainian jet fighter as fake.
“An edited picture where the moment a Malaysian Airline’s Boeing was destroyed by an air-to-air missile from a fighter jet was allegedly captured were shown on one of the TV channels. This fighter was debunked within 13 minutes. It turned out to be a very crude falsification.
It’s the second attempt this week a Russian propaganda to influence the international audience. The first attempt was connected to the so-called participation of terrorists and Samantha Lewthwaite, also known as the White Widow, in fighting alongside the Ukrainians.
We think that this is happening because fakes by Russians have no influence on the Ukrainian audience anymore. That is why they have started actively trying to influence an audience of foreigners. Also, more and more western media has debunked Russian propaganda.”
Difficult words: claim (say that something is true), proof (evidence), allegedly (according to what some people say), debunk (to show that something is false), crude (not good), falsification (fake), attempt (try), propaganda (the act of providing information which is false or shows just one part of the problem), influence (when you influence somebody, you change what they think).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.