Saving the Panama Canal – level 1
The Panama Canal connects two oceans, the Atlantic and the Pacific Ocean. In 1913, workers must flood Lake Gatun to make the canal.
The canal is very important for global trade. Big ships go through the canal. The canal makes the way much shorter. But there is a problem – not enough rain. This year, the canal has very low water. You can even see trees in the water. It is not usual. This makes it hard for ships to pass. They have to go around Africa or Egypt. It takes more time and money.
This problem will get worse because Central America will have even less rain in the future. Experts do not know how to solve it or if it is even possible.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What challenges are posed by the lack of rain in Central America for the Panama Canal, and what potential solutions have experts proposed to address this problem?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.