Say hello to hoverbikes – level 3
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, of course not, but it is a hoverbike!
Thanks to a kickstarter project and a dedicated team of engineers at UK company Malloy Aeronautics, this new hoverbike could be soaring in an airspace near you.
However, this small drone is just a one-third scale version for mass production, and a full-sized one will be flown by remote and piloted by a person.
“When I got my helicopter license, I realised that the helicopter as a design has a lot of improvements that need to be made, and one of them is safety and reliability. They’re very complex machines. And my goal was to see where we could strip away the complexity and increase the safety and that’s basically where the hoverbike came from.”
The team first plan to launch the hoverbike as an unmanned aerial vehicle, before securing an aviation certification for a manned model.
The mini hoverbike can reach a top speed of 45 miles per hour (72 kph). But don’t get your hopes up just yet. It could be a few years before we see them in our skies.
Difficult words: kickstarter (kickstarter is a project which helps people with good ideas start their businesses), soar (fly), drone (unmanned aircraft), aerial (in the air), manned (a person drives it).
Are you a teacher? Download the exercises for your class here. They are for free. You can copy them and use them in your class.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.