Scary Clowns – level 3
Clowns are meant to make people laugh, not scared, but a so-called “creepy clown” craze swept the USA, UK, Australia and now Brazil. People are dressing as scary clowns and pranking others. Police arrested a student at a university after he brandished a real chainsaw on campus at night, although he claims it was just a prank.
One clown explained that pranks make your friends laughs, not scare innocent members of the public. His fear is that something will go wrong and someone could get really scared.
The bizarre phenomenon may have originated in the US, but it is quickly catching momentum around the world. Police forces in the UK warned the public not to get involved because of the psychological and legal consequences.
Difficult words: creepy (frightening, scary), sweep (affect, change in a way), brandish (wave), bizarre (very strange), phenomenon (something which happens in the society), momentum (speed), consequence (a result, an effect).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.