School bus in Turkey – level 3
Pulled from the canal, the wreckage of a school bus that plunged, taking 14 people to their death and injuring upwards of 26 others. The bus, which was taking students home after a weekend trip to a national park, collided with another vehicle before skidding off the road into the canal.
Bystanders flocked to the scene of the floating school bus. Emergency services worked tirelessly through the night to rescue survivors and pull the bus out of the canal.
It’s unclear how many people had been travelling on it at the time. Children with minor injuries are led away for medical examination. Others were less fortunate.
Difficult words: wreckage (the parts of a destroyed object), plunged (to fall down), upwards of (over), skid off (to move as if on ice), flock (to come to one place in big numbers).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.