Scientists in Norway must work fast – level 1
Scientists at a research station in Norway are having problems researching the Arctic region. They need to work fast because the area is changing. The changes are faster than anywhere else in the world.
The Arctic is warming four times faster than other places. On the Svalbard islands, temperatures are climbing up to seven times quicker than in the rest of the world. Sea ice is melting. Arctic animals like polar bears are changing their behavior. They find new areas for hunting. Buildings are getting damaged because of melting ice and ground. It is also getting more challenging to reach research sites.
The scientists are working fast. They want to understand how these changes will impact the planet’s future.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What strategies are the scientists using to help them research the Arctic region effectively?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.