Scientists Make Meat – level 3
A laboratory in the Netherlands uses cow muscle and fat to grow meat, revolutionising what we eat.
Currently, a little piece of meat costs around $12,500 to make, but professor Mark Post said that the laboratory has an investor from the meat industry, and he envisions that it will take about three years to get the first hamburger on the market.
It will be still rather expensive and in small production, so it will target only specialty restaurants at a price of 12–14 dollars for a hamburger, but the price will inevitably come down in the years after that. The production will be more resource efficient and it will hit the supermarket seven years from now, according to the professor’s guess.
A butcher said that people are very sceptical and nervous about manufactured products as it is, and scientists agree that public acceptance is key to the success of this product.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.