Scientists make nuclear fusion – level 3
On Tuesday, the US Department of Energy announced that scientists at the Lawrence Livermore National Lab in California, United States, achieved nuclear fusion for the first time ever.
This is a breakthrough on fusion energy, the process that powers the sun and stars, and it took decades of research on the underlying technologies. The scientists focused 192 lasers on a target of fuel to combine two light atoms into a denser one to release the energy. This happened quickly, and for the first time in history, it produced more energy that the lasers produced.
If companies can scale up the technology to a commercial level in the coming decades, nuclear fusion could one day slow climate change. However, more science needs to happen before fusion becomes commercially viable, and efforts to develop fusion shouldn’t slow down progress on alternative energy sources like solar and wind power, battery storage, and nuclear fission.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.