Scorpions at Charles de Gaulle Airport – level 2
Customs officers at Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris seized 115 live scorpions.
The scorpions were travelling from Cameroon in Africa to the USA. There, people were going to sell them on the Internet.
The scorpions are from a protected species. Luckily for the customs officers, this species is not dangerous to humans.
This incident is not the first one. In 2014, French customs seized almost 14,000 live animals.
Difficult words: customs (the place where your bags are checked when you travel abroad), seize (to take something offficially), species (a type of animal).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the scorpions?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos