Scottish referendum – level 3
Six people have been arrested in Glasgow after rival referendum campaign supporters clashed in George Square.
In the early hours of Friday, the mood was jubilant, as ‘yes’ campaign supporters waited to hear the fate of a nation.
They celebrated when Glasgow’s region voted ‘yes’ on Scottish independence, savouring the momentum gifted by Scotland’s largest city.
They even found a mattress.
Later, that atmosphere was dampened as victory for the ‘no’ campaign transitioned from possibility to mathematical certainty.
That evening tempers flared leading to the arrest but for the time being, though they stood defeated, the people in George Square were at least proud to be Scottish.
Difficult words: clash (fight), jubilant (very happy), savour (enjoy very much), momentum (excitement), dampen (make weak), transition (change), tempers flared (people became angry and violent), for the time being (for the present).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.