Seals are killed in Canada – level 3
Canada began its annual seal hunt this week amid heavy ice conditions off the northwest coast of Newfoundland.
This footage shot by campaign group Humane Society International shows hunters brutally clubbing seals and loading them onto their boat.
According to the campaign group, only 17 boats have chosen to take part in the controversial hunt, which typically focuses on harp seals.
Now that the market for seal products in America and Europe is closed, the hunt is said to be a shadow of what it once was.
The Canadian Government firmly supports the hunt, insisting it is humane, sustainable and economically viable event that’s important to coastal communities.
The Government allows 400,000 harp seals to be killed, despite the low demand for seal fur.
Difficult words: annual (happening every year), club (to hit hard with a heavy object that looks like a thick baseball bat), controversial (people argue about it), a shadow of what it once was (it is smaller now), insist (to say something firmly and often), sustainable (able to continue without damaging the environment), viable (able to work successfully), fur (short, fine, soft hair of an animal).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.