Search for extraterrestrial life – level 2
Francis Drake was the first scientist who looked for life outside our planet.
In 1960, Drake started the research to find some signals after he pointed telescopes at two stars. His research wasn’t successful, but he wondered how many other civilizations were in the universe. He concluded that 10,000 civilizations could have the kind of technology that people could detect.
In the 1970s, scientists detected a signal, but it never repeated after that time. Now, scientists focus on exoplanets, which are planets outside our solar system. Some of them are in the right distance from a sun, just like our planet. One of them is Kepler-186f, and scientists hope to find water there.
Many people believe that aliens exist, and they visit our planet. People see UFOs sometimes, and they believe that they could be aliens.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.