Second “Earth” is found – level 3
Scientists using NASA’s powerful Kepler telescope have found a planet beyond the solar system that’s a close match to Earth. The planet, which is about 60 per cent bigger than Earth, is located about 1,400 light years away. The latest discovery is known as Kepler-452b.
While similar-sized planets have been found before, Kepler-452b is a circulating star that is very similar but older than the sun at a distance about the same as Earth’s orbit.
Based on its size, mission scientists said they believed it was the most Earthlike planet yet.
Such worlds are of interest to astronomers because they might be small and cool enough to host liquid water on their surface and might therefore be hospitable to life.
The planet is included in a haul of 500 new possible planets sighted by the Kepler space telescope around distant stars.
Difficult words: host (to have), hospitable (friendly), haul (a large discovery)
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.