Security in West Africa – level 2
ECOWAS is a political and economic union of 15 West African countries. In 1975, the countries created it with its main goal of regional independence.
On December 4, 2022, leaders of ECOWAS met in Abuja, Nigeria. They established a special force to keep regional peace. In the past two years, many coups happened in the region, and the leaders wanted change. They wanted to support local governments and fight against militants.
The leaders also asked Malian authorities to release 46 Ivorian soldiers by the end of December. Police arrested the soldiers in Mali’s capital in July, which started a diplomatic conflict between Mali and its West African neighbors.
Difficult words: peace (the time when no war happens), coup (a quick and violent change of government), diplomatic conflict (a fight when two or more countries have problems with each other).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos