Self-driving cars on US streets – level 3
Fully automated self-driving cars are no longer the imagination of the distant future. Thanks to companies like Waymo, cars are already driving around in some cities.
Since 2016, the American autonomous car producer has been testing its self-driving cars on the streets of Arizona, US. The company’s mission is to make it safe and easy for people to use the cars, and it believes that AV technology can improve road safety. In the US, the fatality rate in car accidents increased over the last few years, and human error is a majority cause.
Waymo has autonomously driven over 32 million kilometers on public roads and over 30 billion kilometers in simulation, and according to data, its cars were involved only in minor collisions. The company believes that the data is evidence of the safety benefits of autonomous vehicles, and it’s the first company to provide a commercial ride hailing service.
Difficult words: human error (a person’s mistake rather than a machine failure), minor (less serious or important), hail (to signal to stop a car, usually a taxi).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos