Senegal protests – level 1
Ousmane Sonko is Senegal’s leader of opposition. He gets two years in prison.
Sonko is popular among young people. In 2019, he ends third in the election. He asks President Macky Sall not to run in the next election. People who like Sonko believe that the charges will stop him from running in the next election. Protests start. Nine people die. Many people are angry. They fight in the streets. Some people say that President Macky Sall does not do his job well. He does not create enough jobs.
The government controls social media. It is unclear if Sonko can be a candidate in 2024.
Difficult words: opposition (the strong group or people who are not in power), election (when people vote for a person for a job in politics), charge (when someone officially says that another person does something wrong).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact do you think the imprisonment of Ousmane Sonko will have on the next election in Senegal?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.