Senegal protests – level 3
Tensions are escalating in Senegal after opposition leader Ousmane Sonko was sentenced to two years in prison, which triggered violent protests.
Supporters of Sonko believe the charges and sentence are a strategy to prevent him from running in the upcoming presidential elections. The clashes have resulted in nine deaths and widespread unrest. Critics of President Macky Sall who is rumored to seek a third term are frustrated with his governance and lack of job creation. Sonko, a popular figure among the youth, finished third in the 2019 presidential election and has called on Sall to publicly declare he won’t run again.
Social media platforms have been restricted, and Sonko’s candidacy for the 2024 election is in jeopardy due to the conviction.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What implications do you think the conviction and protests could have on the upcoming presidential elections in Senegal?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.