Serbia protests – level 1
Serbia is a country in Southeast Europe. There is a lot of lithium in the ground near the town of Loznica.
Lithium is an important part of batteries for electric cars. The problem is that getting lithium is bad for nature.
The Serbian government makes a law. This law makes it possible to mine the lithium. And a company buys land near Loznica. The company waits for the government to say it is OK. Then it will start mining.
Thousands of people protest in Serbia last week. A protest is when you show or say you are angry. These people are angry about the situation. They say that the government does not care about nature. The government wants only money.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.