Seven very lucky people – level 3
A truck bomb in an underground car park has wounded seven people on the Thai holiday island of Koh Samui. The bomb, planted in a pickup truck, went off at the Central Festival Samui shopping mall, the evening before one of the New Year’s holidays in predominantly Buddhist Thailand.
All of the wounded, who included a 12-year-old Thai-Italian girl, were later discharged from hospital with minor injuries. The truck used in the attack was stolen last month from Southern Thailand.
Bomb squad experts scoured the debris in the underground car park for clues about who might be behind the attack which comes as Thai police try to reassure tourists about the kingdom’s safety as a holiday destination, following a coup last May.
Samui is a popular tourist island in the Gulf of Thailand. The roughly 20 million visitors who flock to the country each year are vital to the economy.
Difficult words: wound (to be injured), plant (to put something somewhere), predominantly (mostly), discharge (to tell somebody to leave), minor (small), squad (a group of people who work on something together), scour (to search), debris (pieces of a destroyed thing), clue (something which helps you understand something better), coup (violent, and illegal coming to power), flock (to come in large numbers), vital (very important).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.