Seventy years after “Fat Man” – level 2
In August of 1945, the USA dropped the atomic bomb nicknamed “Fat Man” on Nagasaki. More than 150,000 people died in the attack and from the radiation. Japan surrendered six days later and World War II was over.
Now, seventy years after the war, people held a memorial ceremony at the Nagasaki Peace Park. The park is right under where the bomb exploded.
The Japanese Prime Minister attended the ceremony. He said that he is trying to lead the world into a future without nuclear weapons.
Difficult words: nickname (to give something another name – a funny or familiar one), memorial (something memorial commemorates something – shows respect for something), attend (to be somewhere).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the attack?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.