Shakespeare’s 400th anniversary – level 1
William Shakespeare was born in Stratford-upon-Avon. He was born on 23rd April, 1564. He died on 23rd April, 1616. It is the 400th anniversary of his death this year.
People in Stratford-upon-Avon celebrate. They go to the streets. They wear masks of Shakespeare or dress as people in Shakespeare’s plays.
A jazz band from New Orleans comes. They play a “New Orleans funeral”.
Difficult words: was (past of “is”), died (past of “die”), anniversary (the day when something important happened years ago).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos