Shakira trial – level 3
Colombian pop star Shakira could stand a trial for alleged tax evasion of 17 million dollars in Spain.
According to a judge at a court near Barcelona, Spain, there is sufficient evidence to hold a trial for Shakira’s alleged tax evasion between the years 2012 and 2014. The Spanish tax law says that anyone who lives in Spain for at least 183 days is liable to pay taxes in Spain.
Apparently, Shakira lived in Spain for more than 200 days in each of those three years, making her liable to pay taxes in the country. The judge said that the singer and her financial advisor used a series of companies in offshore tax havens to attempt to hide the sources of her money during those three years.
Shakira’s lawyers argued over the meaning of ’main residence’, saying that her main residence was in the Bahamas. According to Spanish media, Shakira’s home is in the Barcelona area, with her longtime partner, FC Barcelona football defender Gerard Pique, with whom she has two children.
Difficult words: tax evasion (the illegal non-payment or underpayment of tax), liable (responsible by law), tax haven (a country or place which has a low rate of tax, and people choose to live there or register companies there in order to avoid paying higher tax in their own countries).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos