Shark attacks a surfer – level 1
A man is in the sea. He is in South Africa. He is a surfer. He is at a surfing league.
A shark appears. It attacks the man. He panics. He starts screaming. He punches the shark. The man is lucky. He is OK.
There are many sharks in South Africa. In 2013, a shark killed a man.
Difficult words: league (a situation when people try to be the best at something), appear (to come quickly), punch (to hit with a closed hand).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you surf?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos