Sheep in Madrid – level 1
This first happens 600 years ago. Spain’s leaders let shepherds move their animals. This is because of the seasons. When it gets cold, the shepherds move them to warmer places. When it gets hot, the shepherds move them to cooler places.
On Sunday, something similar happens. Shepherds herd more than 2,000 sheep in Madrid, Spain. This is for the Fiesta de la Trashumancia. The festival celebrates shepherds moving their animals for winter.
Difficult words: shepherd (a person who takes cares of animals and moves them to places to get food, water, and safety), herd (move a group of animals), celebrate (do something to remember or enjoy an event).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.