Sheep in Madrid – level 2
Six hundred years ago, Spain’s monarchy first let shepherds move their livestock as the seasons changed. On Sunday of this year, Madrid, Spain had a rural feel as shepherds moved more than 2,000 sheep for the Fiesta de la Trashumancia.
In 1993, people restarted this festival to celebrate shepherds moving their flocks for the winter. Madrid’s mayor welcomes the sheep; people also pay him to let them pass.
Difficult words: monarchy (the king or queen and other leaders of a country), rural feel (when a place seems traditional, like a small town or a farm), flock (a group of animals such as sheep or birds).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.