Sheep under the Eiffel Tower – level 3
Farmers in France have staged an unusual protest by unleashing sheep under the Eiffel Tower.
The angry farmers are demonstrating against a number of wolves in the country that are killing too many of their animals and the government’s policy on protecting these wolves.
It’s thought that the numbers of animals wolves have attacked have reached 8,000 since 1993 and the number continues to rise, as the population of wolves grows. So, in order to voice their concerns, farmers have taken to the streets of Paris with their sheep.
“Today, this little lamb has lost its mother who was killed by a wolf, so we are asking the community what are we supposed to do? It needs its mother to feed, but today, its mother is dead because a wolf killed her. That’s the explanation we want to provide today in this Parisian square. The matter is that these wolves are not compatible with rearing animals.”
The number of wolves in France increases by about 20 per cent each year and the farmers are asking for permission to actively control this growth.
Difficult words: stage (organise), unleash (release), demonstrate (protest), policy (law), compatible (exist together without problems), rear (breed and raise animals), active (do something).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.