Ship disaster – level 2
Nearly two weeks ago, a ship started to burn off the Sri Lanka coast.
The ship was carrying chemicals and cosmetics, and plastic and oil spilled in the sea. Plastic pellets spilled across Sri Lanka’s beaches, which could be an environmental disaster. The pellets kill marine animals, they break up into small pieces, and they stay in the sea.
The Sri Lankan navy is trying to stop the fire, and they are cleaning the beaches. If the ship sinks, hundreds of tons of oil can leak into the sea. Sri Lanka is a popular place for tourists, and pictures of plastic pellets on its beaches made many people angry.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.