Ship disaster – level 3
Sri Lanka faces environmental disaster as a cargo ship carrying chemicals has been on fire off the coast for days.
The Singapore-registered ship was carrying chemicals and cosmetics, and it´s been on fire for more than a week. If it sinks, hundreds of tons of oil could leak into the sea, having an adverse impact on marine life. The Sri Lankan navy is working to try to put the fire out, amid fears of a major environmental disaster, and they have been removing debris from the beaches.
Although oil is coating the beaches, the bigger problem at the moment is the debris, which is mostly tiny plastic pellets. The pellets float and eventually break up in the sea, which means that they will release a lot of tiny plastic pieces that are detrimental to marine life.
Officials are planning to begin testing air and water quality, and fishing has been banned for now.
Difficult words: adverse (having a negative or harmful effect on something), debris (pieces of something which is broken), pellet (a small hard ball or tube-shaped piece of any substance), detrimental (tending to cause harm).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.