Ship in Storm – level 2
A Japanese cargo ship was on its way to Japan when a storm started in the Pacific Ocean. Some people said that the waves were about 16 meters high.
The ship was carrying containers that were full of things. More than 1,800 containers fell in the sea, and 60 of them were full of dangerous goods like fireworks and batteries. The disaster was the second biggest disaster in history.
The worst shipping disaster in history happened in 2013, when a cargo ship with 1,700 containers sank in the Indian Ocean. A fire destroyed 2,400 containers.
On December 8, the ship arrived in Japan for a safety check. Authorities will decide if it is safe to use the ship again.
Difficult words: cargo ship (a big ship that takes things from one place to another), container (a box that people use to take things from one place to another), safety check (when people look at something very carefully to see if it is not damaged or dangerous).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos