Ship on Fire – level 2
Last Monday, a boat off the coast of Southern California was on fire. Thirty-three people died, and the only survivors are five of the six crew. People are still looking for the sixth crew member, but they think that he or she is dead.
The boat was on a multi-day diving excursion. An American government agency is investigating what caused the fire, but the investigation may be difficult as there was no black box on board.
Difficult words: crew (the group of people who work on a vehicle such as a boat or a plane), excursion (a trip), government agency (a part of the government which has a specific job, such as to investigate why a ship gets on fire).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos