Ships with grain leave Ukraine – level 1
Ukraine and Russia grow much of the world’s grain. Russia attacks Ukraine in February. Ukraine can’t sell its grain.
Ukraine also grows 16% of the world’s corn and 42% of sunflower oil. Russia blocks Ukrainian ports for five months. The world’s prices of food go up. In some countries, the food crisis gets worse. Foods like bread, pasta, or cooking oil cost more money.
On Monday, a ship with grain leaves the Ukrainian port of Odessa. The ship is the first to leave since the war starts. Russia and Ukraine make a deal. Russia won’t attack Ukraine’s ports. It will wait only if ships have food there. Officials hope that it will help the global market.
Difficult words: grain (wheat or corn which people grow for food), port (a place for ships to sell and buy things), food crisis (a time when people don’t have enough food or the food is too expensive).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos