Ships with grain leave Ukraine – level 2
When Russia attacked Ukraine five months ago, Russia blocked Ukraine’s ports in the Black Sea. The action stopped Ukraine’s exports, which badly impacted the global food market and increased the prices of some products.
Russia and Ukraine grow nearly one third of the world’s grain. Since the beginning of the war, the prices of products increased such as bread, pasta, and cooking oil.
On Monday, the first ship with grain left the Ukrainian port of Odessa. The event happened under a deal between Ukraine and Russia. Russia promised that it wouldn’t attack Ukraine’s ports with cargo ships. Officials hope that this will help the global food crisis.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.