Shirtless Winter Race – level 3
More than 1,300 men took part in the annual Real Man Race in Minsk, Belarus. The relatively short 1-kilometre or 3-kilometre race was compensation for the fact that the runners had to be shirtless.
The competitors braved temperatures of -10 degrees Celsius, but one man said that he was not cold, felt wonderful and energised and he would do it again.
The event marked the Defender of the Fatherland Day, and it marked one century of the country’s armed forces.
Difficult words: annual (happening every year), compensation for (make up, balance), brave (put up with, suffer through).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos